D brand identity repository

James Fisher jameshfisher at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 09:08:17 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Mafi <mafi at example.org> wrote:

> This is my try.
> What do you guys think about it?

So, I do think yours has merit.  The one gripe I have with it is a lack of
obviousness.  Compare:

New Python user: "say, why's your logo made of snakes?"
Pythoneer: "..."

New D user: "say, why's your logo got two balls in it?"
D programmer: "Well, hear me out.  Originally, the language was going to be
called Mars.  But then it was called D, and it's too late to change it back.
 Now, the two balls are Mars' two moons.  That's right, the D is Mars.  Yes,
the D is see-through, but it was ugly to have the moons on the side, so you
just have to stretch to see the illusion.  And yes, the moons should be
irregular shapes, but that was ugly too."

Not sure if that gets my point across but I'm just trying to think from the
perspective of someone outside the community.  Which, of course, is what we
should be doing.