D brand identity repository

James Fisher jameshfisher at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 09:08:09 PDT 2011

I've also been thinking about font choice.  High up on my list of goals for
a primary face are:

   - Transition.  The D sites I've seen show a preference for a simple,
   common sans; there's no obvious reason to sway from that.
   - Legibility and "dont-get-in-the-way-of-the-content"-ness.
   - Large character set.  The D community is international and all faces
   should respect this.
   - Free.  Having to purchase the face is a huge barrier to adoption.
   - Web-font embeddable.  Web fonts have gone past the point of being
   bleeding edge web tech by now and there's no reason not to use them to
   secure a cross-browser, cross-platform consistency.  Zero accessibility
   worries as the browser will just fall back to, say, Arial.

I've gone through the Google Web Font
Directory<http://www.google.com/webfonts/v2> with
these criteria.  The outstanding choice here is Open
Sans<http://www.google.com/webfonts/family?family=Open+Sans&subset=latin>,
which IMO has superb legibility and is also attractive, has a big character
set, is under the Apache License, and (bonus) has 10 variants for most
conceivable use from massive headings to smallprint (meaning it has
potential as a choice for our heading face as well).

(BTW, when considering these, look at the font at 16px.  That's the browser
default, and for good accessibility and legibility reasons, so there's no
reason to change it, so that's the size I think we'll be looking at it.)

You can see Open Sans in use at http://eegg.github.com/d-brand/