Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Jul 2 13:10:34 PDT 2011

On 6/29/11 2:58 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/29/2011 12:09 PM, Adam Ruppe wrote:
>> One thing I like about ddoc is how hands-off it is. You can put
>> almost any text inside it and it gets passed out unmolested. I think
>> the only character that gets disappeared or altered in ddoc is $.
>
> The more special characters in the markup language, the more trouble
> you're going to have. That's why Ddoc is pretty limited to $.

One good thing about ddoc is its uniformity, $(name comma-sep-list) is
replaced by the definition of name. That should be pretty much it. If
anything I'd add to that uniformity: (a) remove the ---- syntax which is
quite difficult to use with my editors, (b) replace params: and etc.
with macro-style syntax.

Andrei