D brand identity repository

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Jul 3 07:52:07 PDT 2011

On 7/3/11 7:15 AM, James Fisher wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com
> <mailto:doob at me.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2011-07-02 23:01, James Fisher wrote:
>
>         So, here's a website mockup:
>         http://eegg.github.com/d-__brand/mockup.png
>         <http://eegg.github.com/d-brand/mockup.png>
>
>         Comments appreciated.
>

>     In general I like it. I think the top tabs are a little too big. You
>     could cut the height in half I think, it's wasting a too much
>     vertical space. You can easily cut off 30px above and below the text
>     in the tabs.
>

> That is true, though I do have a few reasons for keeping 'em big:
>
> - I think the composition works better with it being a half or a third
> of the height of the sand-color banner.
> - potentially, a second layer of links could be introduced.  (Though in
> general I shy away from multi-level top-level links as over-engineered,
> unless the site is really complex, which it's not.)
> - on other pages, e.g. the docs, I'm considering having the logo in the
> dark banner (at the same x-pos).  This would require some space.
> - last but not least, it's the web, not paper, and we have all the space
> we want for free!
>
>     I would be nice to see a mouckup of one page from the language
>     reference and one from the library reference, for example:
>
>     http://d-programming-language.__org/lex.html
>     <http://d-programming-language.org/lex.html>
>     http://d-programming-language.__org/phobos/std_string.html
>     <http://d-programming-language.org/phobos/std_string.html>
>

> I'll come up with those when I stop playing around with Inkscape, and
> mock up in HTML/CSS.

One thing that's going somewhat unnoticed in this discussion is that the
site is at the end of a major redesign cycle during which people in this
group gave extensive input on the logo, the color scheme, the fonts, the
page design - pretty much all aspects of the website. I find it
surprising that all that is now as if it never existed.

Andrei