d-programming-language.org

KennyTM~ kennytm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 11:58:06 PDT 2011

On Jul 4, 11 02:40, eles wrote:
> 1. please update http://www.d-programming-language.org/faq.html#q6
> ("Why fall through on switch statements?").
>
> "The reason D doesn't change this is for the same reason that
> integral promotion rules and operator precedence rules were kept the
> same - to make code that looks the same as in C operate the same. If
> it had subtly different semantics, it will cause frustratingly subtle
> bugs." was a good reason at its time, it is no more (since code is
> simply *not* accepted).

The whole FAQ needs to be reviewed:

1. Most of the "D 2.0 FAQ" is missing (e.g. 'Where is my simple language?')
2. 'How do I write my own D compiler for CPU X?' - the alternative
backend has not been updated for 9 years. As a guide, it's better to
refer to some Wiki4D article or the LDC interface.
3. 'Where can I get an IDE for D?' - Just link to a Wiki4D article. It
is missing newer IDEs like Visual D.
4. 'What about templates?' - There's no need to keep this D 0.x item...
5. 'Why fall through on switch statements?' - As eles's comment.
6. 'Why doesn't D use reference counting for garbage collection?' - Add
std.typecons.RefCounted
7. 'Can't a sufficiently smart compiler figure out that a function is
pure automatically?' - But now we have purity inference :)

> now, flames are on (again) - well, I have no alternative.

[snip]