D Programming Language Specification ebook

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jul 3 20:03:58 PDT 2011

On 7/3/2011 7:36 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> Giving away an eBook for free is not the same as thrusting a
> book/magazine in peoples hand on a trade show or after a speech or
> something (whether they want it or not) - as long as it's not advertised
> with popup-ads or something - they (can) actively choose to download it.

Surprisingly, I have seen this done many times, and have not detected any
backlash or bad feeling about it. The git manual comes to mind.

http://progit.org/book/

> And please provide that ebook as PDF or whatever on the D homepage so
> people with other ebook readers (or iPads) can use it as well. :-)

Andrei's already set up the dpl source to auto-build pdf's.

In any case, pdf's suck as an ebook format. The trouble is, they don't reflow
the text. The ebook formats are much, much more suitable. Pdf's are for printing.