D brand identity repository

James Fisher jameshfisher at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 00:31:26 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu <
SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> On 7/3/11 12:35 PM, James Fisher wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org <mailto:SeeWebsiteForEmail@**erdani.org<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>
>> >>

>> wrote:
>>
>>    One thing that's going somewhat unnoticed in this discussion is that
>>    the site is at the end of a major redesign cycle during which people
>>    in this group gave extensive input on the logo, the color scheme,
>>    the fonts, the page design - pretty much all aspects of the website.
>>    I find it surprising that all that is now as if it never existed.
>>

>> I don't want to give the impression that I want to discard everything.
>>  What I and the others in this thread are currently doing definitely
>> builds on that work -- which is clear in the potential refinements of
>> the logo, the palette, and the font choice.  I imagine the contents of
>> the site will remain 95% the same, too.  My proposed page layout is
>> perhaps an overhaul, though.
>>
>> If you feel the proposals are a step back rather than forwards then I'm
>> happy to discuss that.
>>

> I'm not qualified to discuss aesthetic matters.

Sure you are; we all have eyes.

> I think once we're past fixing flaws, a lot of stuff is simply different
> without being either obviously better or worse. (All other things being
> equal, novelty and artistic je-ne-sais-quoi are definite assets.)
>
> On my agenda for the website there are several important things: (a) make
> the homepage more dynamic, e.g. with the latest posts etc; (b) propagate the
> look and feel of std.algorithm to the other modules; (c) integrate Adam
> Ruppe's "try now" button everywhere; (d) make a pass through the content to
> improve it, fix examples, add articles and links and so on. Fiddling once
> more with color scheme and layout minutiae is, well, not on that list.

That's fine, and those things are important too.  Content and presentation
are (theoretically) independent, so our working on separate things
independently shouldn't matter.

I didn't create either the current layout or the mockup at
> http://eegg.github.com/d-**brand/mockup.png<http://eegg.github.com/d-brand/mockup.png>so I can candidly compare the two. I like the current layout better.
>
> * The existing logo looks professional and well rounded. The proposed logo,
> with non-circular bubbles, the bare letter, and the color choice looks
> inferior to me.

I think I agree with you here, and I'm not convinced by it either.  It can
be swapped out.  Most people seem to agree with me that there are a couple
of problems with the current one, however: (1) the background looks like
someone's attacked it with a gradient gun, and (2) a border around the D
seems to be preferred.  If nothing else I'd like these fixed.

* The proposed menu at the top is disproportionately tall compared to the
> font size. It looks like someone chose the wrong font/menu height
> combination in a windowing system.

This seems to be source of divided opinion.

* I like the color palette of the current site with the nuances of gray and
> the surrounding border.

To each their own I suppose.  To my eye there the only colors in that
palette that matter are the deep red and the dark blue; the rest just look
like they've been chosen on the fly whenever a color was needed.

> * The mockup text is ragged right, whereas the current site has beautifully
> justified and hyphenated text.
>
>  * I prefer the blockquote indentation and color. In the proposed layout
> the blockquote is only distinguished with a crappy double quote sign to its
> left.

The above is pretty much just placeholder; It's not really part of any
proposed design.  Though FWIW I like ragged right, and hyphenation only
really adds to readability with columns of text a lot narrower than on the
current site (but I'm not saying remove it).