D Programming Language Specification ebook

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jul 4 02:52:19 PDT 2011

On 7/4/2011 1:50 AM, Johann MacDonagh wrote:
> On 7/3/2011 10:11 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> What do you all think? $0? $4.99? $9.99?
>
> What about skipping Amazon and putting it up on d-programming-language.org and
> ask for donations? I think Paypal will handle the processing for you for free if
> you show you're not doing it for profit.

People at the airport press a "free gift" on me, and then harangue me for a
donation. I think that's the wrong image for D. People shouldn't be made to feel
guilty about using D and not making a donation. I know it would turn me off, at
least.

> If you set a price we'd have to go through each page and clean them up / update
> some for D2, etc... Donations make it nice because you can release newer
> versions and donaters can update their copy without paying again.

The idea is to generate the ebook automatically from the web sources.