D brand identity repository

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 04:25:30 PDT 2011

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 10:52:07 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 7/3/11 7:15 AM, James Fisher wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com
>> <mailto:doob at me.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 2011-07-02 23:01, James Fisher wrote:
>>
>>         So, here's a website mockup:
>>         http://eegg.github.com/d-__brand/mockup.png
>>         <http://eegg.github.com/d-brand/mockup.png>
>>
>>         Comments appreciated.
>>

>>     In general I like it. I think the top tabs are a little too big. You
>>     could cut the height in half I think, it's wasting a too much
>>     vertical space. You can easily cut off 30px above and below the text
>>     in the tabs.
>>

>> That is true, though I do have a few reasons for keeping 'em big:
>>
>> - I think the composition works better with it being a half or a third
>> of the height of the sand-color banner.
>> - potentially, a second layer of links could be introduced.  (Though in
>> general I shy away from multi-level top-level links as over-engineered,
>> unless the site is really complex, which it's not.)
>> - on other pages, e.g. the docs, I'm considering having the logo in the
>> dark banner (at the same x-pos).  This would require some space.
>> - last but not least, it's the web, not paper, and we have all the space
>> we want for free!
>>
>>     I would be nice to see a mouckup of one page from the language
>>     reference and one from the library reference, for example:
>>
>>     http://d-programming-language.__org/lex.html
>>     <http://d-programming-language.org/lex.html>
>>     http://d-programming-language.__org/phobos/std_string.html
>>     <http://d-programming-language.org/phobos/std_string.html>
>>

>> I'll come up with those when I stop playing around with Inkscape, and
>> mock up in HTML/CSS.
>
> One thing that's going somewhat unnoticed in this discussion is that the
> site is at the end of a major redesign cycle during which people in this
> group gave extensive input on the logo, the color scheme, the fonts, the
> page design - pretty much all aspects of the website. I find it
> surprising that all that is now as if it never existed.

The page design hasn't changed very much.  As far as I recall (and I
didn't participate a lick in the discussions), no major site design
discussions occurred.  But maybe I just didn't look at any of the
alternatives when they were posted.

If it's worth anything, I like the coloring and logo scheme of the current
site, but I like the design of James' mockup better.

-Steve