D Programming Language Specification ebook

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jul 4 13:27:05 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-04 08:32, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > My biggest concern with publishing a non-free book based on the web site
> > is that the *website changes with every release*!
> >
> > Who wants to pay $5 every time the compiler is released just so you can
> > have an ebook-style copy of the web data?
>
> I think that's a good argument.

Yes. Personally, I would be very surprised to see a copy of online
documentation being sold as an e-book for money. And if you had to pay for it
again every time that there was an update, it would be that much worse. In the
case of Pro Git, it seems to me that it's not so much a case of online
documentation being sold for money but a book being given away for free
online. And if you'll notice, you can buy a paperback copy of Pro Git, so I
expect that the thinking that went into selling Pro Git for money was very
different. It probably ended up with a kindle edition to go with the paperback
book rather than to extend what was posted online. And most importantly, Pro
Git is an actual book which was written by one person and probably took a fair
bit of time and effort to write. It's not online documentation. It's an actual
book. Really, I think that it's a case of a book being given away for free
online instead of materials from online being put into a book. I don't think
that it's comparable to D's online documentation.

I do think that if you have an actual book, it looks bad if it's sold for free
(e.g. a free kindle copy of TDPL would probably not be a good idea), but I
also agree with Steven that it looks bad to sell online documentation. I
really think that it should be free. If someone wants a quality book that they
have to pay for, then they can buy TDPL. But selling online documentation
looks just plain bad IMHO, and if we make it clear that the e-book is a copy
of the online docs, then I don't think that the free factor will cause much in
the way of problems. If anything, it's the fact that it's online documentation
instead of an actual book which would cause problems.

- Jonathan M Davis