D brand identity repository

Roman Ivanov isroman.DEL at ETE.km.ru
Wed Jul 6 20:28:58 PDT 2011

On 7/2/2011 6:09 AM, James Fisher wrote:
> I'm keeping this organized at http://eegg.github.com/d-brand/.  Feedback
> and additions (or subtractions) welcome.
>
> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 8:51 AM, James Fisher <jameshfisher at gmail.com
> <mailto:jameshfisher at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:50 AM, Daniel Gibson <metalcaedes at gmail.com
>     <mailto:metalcaedes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         [...] I think it's important that the logo makes sense for
>
>         somebody who is not deeply familiar with D and its (digital)mars
>         origin.
>

>     I definitely agree, and that was kinda my point.  Of two options,
>
>     (1) a half-baked abstraction of Mars, where the representation is
>     only clear to the community inner circle and where an outsider would
>     think "What are those balls/warts?",
>
>     (2) a clear representation of Mars, where the worst the outsider can
>     think is "what does Mars have to do with D?" (a question that would
>     also follow your explanation of the abstract representation),
>
>     I'd take the latter.  If that's still not good enough because the
>     Mars theme doesn't make sense, then the only real option is to scrap
>     the Mars theme altogether.  I wouldn't want to do that.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/dmars.jpg/

I'm not proposing this as a logo, it's just a digital version of
"thinking out loud".

Mars is tough to represent in abstract. Unless you use the mars symbol:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/dsymbol.png/

That might evoke some unnecessary associations, though.