druntime

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jul 8 10:58:17 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-08 10:42, bioinfornatics wrote:
> @sean
> if you install ldc2 like:
> $ cmake . -DD_VERSION:STRING=2 -DCONF_INST_DIR:PATH=/etc
> $ make -j4 VERBOSE=2
> $ make -j4 install
>
> and try install druntime from
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime.git I can't because
> make file is only for dmd. What i try to said, yes we need 1 druntime so
> for this reason druntime installer need support at least dmd, ldc, gdc.
> But is not case currently. And for this reason d2 can't go to Fedora 16.
> Because ldc2 use cmake for build 3 projects (ldc, druntime, phobos)
> I need 3 installer separately. And ldc2 use a druntime fork!
>
> thanks for any answer :-)

I believe that it's _expected_ that other compilers will use forks of
druntime. They may have to make changes to druntime to work, and Sean doesn't
want to have to maintain all of the differences for every compiler. Rather,
druntime is the reference implementation intended for dmd, and other compiler
maintainers do whatever they need to with their own version of it to get it
work with their compiler.

- Jonathan M Davis