Tracking down bug: Need a few precompiled 32-bit linux Hello Worlds

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jul 10 14:15:17 PDT 2011

Twice now (from two totally different projects) I've come across precompiled
linux binaries that give me "Illegal Instruction", but they work when I
compile them myself. The idea of shared-lib/libc issues has been looked
into, but it doesn't seem to be the culprit. Both times, D1 and Tango were
involved. So I suspect it's something in Tango, but before I take this to
the Tango team I'd like to be more sure. For all I know, it could be a D1
thing, or even something backported over from druntime, something else, etc,
I don't know.

I don't have a machine with a modern enough CPU that I can reproduce the
offending binaries myself, so I'd appreciate if someone could build a few
hello worlds for me:

1. D1/Tango
2. D1/Phobos
3. D2/Phobos

// d1tango.d
import tango.io.Stdout;
void main()
{
  Stdout.formatln("Hello");
}

// d1phobos.d and d2phobos.d
import std.stdio;
void main()
{
  writefln("Hello");
}

I'd need them built on a relatively modern CPU, I'd guess that anything that
supports 64-bit and/or multi-core will probably do. They need to be 32-bit
binaries. And to avoid any shared lib compatibility issues (which seem to be
common on linux), they should be built on something like Ubuntu 10.06 (or
older) or CentOS 4 (or older), etc (Building in a VM would be fine of
course).

I'd appreciate anyone that has the right setup and can spare the bother to
help out with this.