Re Build tools for D [ was Re: Prototype buildsystem "Drake" ]

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jul 12 23:16:22 PDT 2011

From: "Russel Winder" <russel at russel.org.uk>

>I agree with the premise that package management must be a core part of
>the build management,

If I understand what you're saying correctly, then I strongly disagree. A
package management tool, by necessity, must be a common agreed-upon standard
(otherwise it won't serve it's purpose). But if that package management is
tied into build management then we're *also* forcing a single standard build
system on everyone. So then instead of being able to choose your build
system, everyone now has to come to an agreement on the same build system,
which #1: Is unlikely to ever happen, and #2: Serves no useful purpose.