Re Build tools for D [ was Re: Prototype buildsystem "Drake" ]

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jul 13 02:15:37 PDT 2011

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1593.1310541508.14074.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Wednesday 13 July 2011 03:01:04 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Regarding this topic's frequent ressurection, I see that as a direct
>> result
>> of it all being *merely* talk, with very little concrete progress. We
>> don't
>> even *have* a proper package management system (there's DSSS, but it's
>> dead,
>> bitrotted, and I don't think it handles dependencies or multiple versions
>> of the same package). So naturally that topic's going to keep coming up
>> until we have something.
>
> I belive that Jacob Carlborg is working on a solution. So,  there _is_
> work
> being done on it.

Right. And I'm definitely keeping an eye on Orb. I just meant that the lack
of a D package manager that's already usable (and still living) is the main
reason this all keeps getting discussed every so often.

> By no means does that mean that you shouldn't work on a
> solution, but it's not the case that no one has been working on the
> problem -
> though it is true that it's been being brought up for far longer than it's
> been being worked on.

Yea, I didn't mean that nobody's working on it. Just that, for package
management, there isn't really much usable right now, and for build
management, there isn't anything that doesn't rely on either makefiles or
XML or some non-D dynamic langauge/interpreter, etc.