Re Build tools for D [ was Re: Prototype buildsystem "Drake"]

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jul 13 11:07:32 PDT 2011

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1611.1310578056.14074.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On 2011-07-13 08:36, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>
>> I don't agree with that. I think a build tool should deal with single
>> files and building. A package manager should deal with packages (of
>> files). In Ruby, RubyGems is the package manager and Rake is the build
>> tool.
>
> Well, I'm not advocating anything in particular. I was just pointing out
> that
> a big part of the discussions on build tools has been package management
> of
> libraries, and any build tool solution which doesn't at least integrate
> with
> some sort of package management solution is likely to not be what at least
> some people are looking for.
>
> Personally, I don't generally use package management tools for handling
> libraries even with languages that have such tools, and I don't generally
> use
> much in the way of build tools either beyond simple scripts (primarily
> because
> I don't generally have projects large enough for it to be an issue). As it
> stands, if I were to choose a build tool for a larger project, I'd
> probably
> choose CmakeD, but I'm not super-familiar with all of the tools out there
> and
> haven't generally found much use for them.
>
> I was just trying to point out that a fair bit of the discussion for such
> tools in this list has related to package management, and Nick's solution
> doesn't address that at all AFAIK.

Fair enough. And yea, my solution doesn't even try to address package
management since it considers that a separate issue. May have been a little
misleading for me to bring up those discussions in the first place. Really
what happened was just: For a long time I'd been meaning to make a Rake-like
tool based on D, Jacob posted his Rake-like tool based on Ruby, and that lit
a fire under me to finally get started on mine.

Although I have to admit, I've only now started to look at Waf. While I
definitely still wouldn't want to use it for D projects (for reasons I've
already mentioned), it does have some interesting design elements that I'm
going to have to think about.