Prototype buildsystem "Drake"

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Wed Jul 13 23:56:00 PDT 2011

Nick,

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 17:41 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[ . . . ]
> Yea, D is likely to be a little more verbose than what could be done in Ruby
> (or Python). Personally, I think that's well worth it, though. I don't know
> how many others would agree or not.
[ . . . ]

You might want to take a quick look at SBT -- the standard Scala build
framework.  It's advocates started it because Ant and Maven are XML hell
and are generally problematic, and Gradle is build on Java and Groovy,
and (as you might expect) Scala folk abhor all things dynamic (i.e.
Groovy) and insist on static type checking.  I have some doubts about
the huge downloads they dump into each project hierarchy, but there is
no doubt that they have made excellent use of a statically type language
to create a DSL for building Scala things.

If D can be used to go down this sort of road, and if it can support the
build and install facilities of SCons and Waf, then it could be a
winner.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk