Prototype buildsystem "Drake"

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Jul 14 12:26:39 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-13 23:52, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Hmm, yea, configure didn't even occur to me. I think it could acually be
> done as just another File target that everything else depends on. Only thing
> is then you'd have to save/load the configuration file manually, so maybe
> there should be some convenience mechnism for that (Maybe utilizing Jacob's
> Orange serialization library once that rewrite is done? Or maybe that would
> be overkill? Is there some INI-file util, or am I just imagining that?)

What about doing something like DSSS/rebuild does. There are config
files for dmd, ldc and gdc on various platforms. You can choose to
invoke different compilers and it will use the config file for that
particular compiler on the current platform.

I think a complete serialization library might be a little overkill (but
I don't know). The rewrite of Orange will take me longer time then I
expected to finish, it's (de)serializing pointers that give me a
headache, almost everything else is finished. For now Orbit has higher
priority.

Tango has a INI-file module. Otherwise JSON might be a good idea.

For linking with libraries I think integration with a package manager
would be the best idea. This is how I'm planning with Orbit and the
build tool (Dake) I'm working on. If Drake becomes the standard build
tool for D and Orbit the package manager I'm more than happy to help
integrate Drake with Orbit.

--
/Jacob Carlborg