Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Jul 14 18:19:09 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-14 17:33, dsimcha wrote:
> 3. All the stuff from the old std.path should be "scheduled for
> deprecation". Deprecating stuff breaks people's build processes and
> should only be done after adequate warning. I don't know a good way to
> implement this for enums and aliases, though, which I guess begs the
> question of whether DMD should support soft deprecation.

A documentation note for it can and should be added to each function saying
that it's scheduled for deprecation (std.ctype, std.string, and std.file all
have some good examples of this). Unfortunately, the only way at this point to
print a message about a function being scheduled for deprecation is to use a
pragma inside of the function - which only works with templated functions.
However, there's been a number of complaints on the Announce list about the
messages which are currently printed for functions which are scheduled for
deprecation, so I don't know how we want to handle such messages. At minimum,
the old functions should be in the documentation and labeled as scheduled for
deprecation rather than deprecated.

- Jonathan M Davis