Coding Standards

KennyTM~ kennytm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 00:36:45 PDT 2011

On Jul 15, 11 10:07, bearophile wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis:
>
>> do not want to be forced to write code in someone else's style. As long as
>> people don't do completely crazy stuff with formatting, it's generally easy
>> enough to read code such that the formatting really shouldn't be an issue.
>
> But Mark Chu-Carroll is very smart and expert, he's always worth listening to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_authority ;) A coding standard is
good, but a it is often enforced only within one organization, not
necessarily for the whole language.

Anyway, D has http://d-programming-language.org/dstyle.html, which is
applied to Phobos, at least. I think it is already up-to-date, except
the [80, 120] maximum line width and '{' on its own line rules? This has
been discussed several times already.

(Speaking of which, druntime should also follow this style convention. I
cringe when adopting my code to the original style
(`f(<space>param<space>)`) of core.demangle.)

Let's make a bugzilla listing out all lacking (or over-restrictive)
recommendations in dstyle.html.