A few comments on "Three Cool Things about D"

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Jul 16 13:32:18 PDT 2011

On 7/16/11 12:19 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Vladimir Panteleev"<vladimir at thecybershadow.net>  wrote in message
> news:op.vyoyfir2tuzx1w at cybershadow.mshome.net...
>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 05:16:35 +0300, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> A reader pointed me to this post on a Russian site:
>>>
>>> http://designsfor.ru/2011/07/16/three-cool-things-about-d-the-case-for-the-d-programing-language/
>>
>> The "article" (in reality, video description without formatting) and the
>> comments are scrapped from YouTube. I don't think anything on that page is
>> original.
>>

> That certainly explains the insightful, properly-capitalized comments like:
>
> "can't stand this guys accent."
>
> Web 2.0: Dumbing down society one idiot at a time.

I think that's actually good feedback. People usually don't mention that
because they consider it politically incorrect. I've considered taking
some enunciation classes but a speech pathologist I talked to said
there's not a lot to improve at this point.

One more actionable piece of feedback is this:

> this is an interesting presentation, but this guy might be the most
> annoying presenter ever– why is he compelled to ask everything as a
> question before making a statement? «foo is bar. what does bar mean?»
> pause for five seconds. somebody gives half-correct answer. presenter
> gives correct definition. repeat.

I've had this intuition for a while - asking questions works better live
than in a recording because there's much less incentive to think of an
answer for the offline viewer so those times are just dead. I think I'll
ask fewer questions during recorded talks.

Andrei