D Programming Language Specification ebook

Mike James foo at bar.com
Sun Jul 17 06:14:29 PDT 2011

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:iur7pc$1aks$1 at digitalmars.com...
>I think it would be a good move to make a kindle ebook out of the
>specification on the web site. Not only will it be convenient for those who
>wish to peruse the spec using a kindle, it will be helpful for marketing
>etc.
>
> The difficulty is that if I put the ebook up on Amazon for free, people
> tend to equate free with "crap". It needs to have a price on it to be
> taken seriously.
>
> But if I put a price on it, people will be demotivated to continue
> contributing to it, because they'll perceive someone else profiting from
> their work.
>
> Perhaps proceeds from it should be put towards other promotions of D, like
> maybe a conference? More contests with prizes?
>
> What do you all think? $0? $4.99? $9.99?
>
> And yes, the content will be identical to that on the website, just
> formatted for the kindle.

I've had the ebook on my kindle for a while now and read it cover to cover.
It's very readable in this form. The only problem I could see with it is
that some of the tables are not rendered properly. For example the Basic
Data Types table, the text is truncated by the grid. I tried different font
sizes and orientations but it didn't make much difference.

Anyway, its handy to have when your stuck on a airport with nothing to read
:-)

-=mike=-