D emitter for Haxe?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jul 17 10:10:31 PDT 2011

"Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench at robertmuench.de> wrote in message
news:ivuaev$chu$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 2011-07-16 21:40:00 +0200, Nick Sabalausky said:
>
>> Dax is for converting D to Haxe (D to Haxe -> Dax). And it's in it's
>> *very* early stages, it outputs some *.hx files, but they don't contain
>> anything other than some blank class/function definitions. There's a lot
>> of work still to do on that.
>
> Hi, I don't think that converting D to Haxe makes a lot of sense. But
> anyway YMMV.

The idea is that, when finished, we could write web apps in D and *still* be
able to run them even on [shared] servers that don't support
natively-compiled CGI. (Which I unfortunately have to deal with now and
then, which absolutely blows.) I've been using Haxe to deal with crappy
PHP-only servers, which is FAR better than pure PHP, but I'd still much
rather be able to use D instead (even if I still have to deal with the
crappy PHP runtime).

>> I am working on a Haxe -> D program, too, called Haxed (pronounced
>> however you want to pronounce it ;) )
>
> Cool, I expected that someone else already thought about such a thing.
>
>> Unfortunately, Haxed is in its very early stages, too. I have Haxe's
>> preprocessor implemented, and a GOLD/Goldie grammar written, but that's
>> about it.
>
> Ok. I will take a look at the emitter stuff of Haxe to get a feeling for
> it. So, what are the hard parts to do?

Finding the time for it ;) I expect Haxe's macro system may be difficult,
but I'm not really planning to get to that until the rest is done. Other
than that, I'll be able to say what the hard parts are when I get to them ;)

Keep in mind, I'm not actually using the official Haxe program to to this -
that's written in OCaml, and I don't understand one word of OCaml, or ML for
that matter. This is written from-scratch in D.

>> But there's not much there right now, not even the source repo. I'm
>> probably going to host the code on BitBucket (I won't use BitBucket for
>> anything else, though). In fact, I'll try to get what I have up there
>> today.
>
> Great. I'll take a look and hopefully can contribute some stuff to it.

The repo's up on BitBucket now:

https://bitbucket.org/Abscissa256/haxed