Prototype buildsystem "Drake"

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Jul 18 19:51:32 PDT 2011

"Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote in message
news:j00krh$1i3q$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 2011-07-17 23:01, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Jacob Carlborg"<doob at me.com>  wrote in message
>>> Ok, have you thought about how this will look (in code) and behave?
>>>

>> Not extensively, but here's what I have in mind so far. In an early
>> initial
>> version of Drake, it would be like this:
>>
>>      task("configure", "drake.conf");
>>
>>      file("drake.conf",
>>          (Target t)
>>          {
>>              // Do all configuring here and save to drake.conf
>>          }
>>      );
>
> Ok. Will the build script change the configuration file?

Yes.

> Seems kind of strange. Usually the config file is used to control the
> build script, not the other way around.

It's not really "the other way around" since the buildscript would still
load the configuration file and use the settings in it (I guess I neglected
to mention that part). It's just that creating it isn't done separately from
the buildscript like with the clunky autotools. From a quick browse through
the docs, Waf seems to have the buildscript direct the creation of the
configuration file, too.