Orbit - Package Manager - Specification/ideas

Johannes Pfau spam at example.com
Fri Jul 22 03:38:13 PDT 2011

Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>On 2011-07-19 13:43, Johannes Pfau wrote:
>> Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>>
>>> Won't the same problem occur if rpath isn't used? With
>>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH for example.
>>
>> I'm not sure about that, but using LD_LIBRARY_PATH is even more
>> discouraged (because it propagates to child processes)
>
>Ok. What is used to tell the system where to find a library? Only the
>default paths as /usr/lib ?

The rpath page says this:
1. the RPATH binary header (set at build-time) of the library causing
   the lookup (if any)

2. the RPATH binary header (set at build-time) of
   the executable

3. the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable (set at
   run-time)

4. the RUNPATH binary header (set at build-time) of the
   executable

5. /etc/ld.so.cache (generated from /etc/ld.so.conf
   and /etc/ld.so.conf.d)

6. base library directories (/lib and /usr/lib)

But that depends on the C library / linker implementation.

--
Johannes Pfau