Orbit - Package Manager - Specification/ideas

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Jul 22 04:28:23 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-22 12:38, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2011-07-19 12:33, Johannes Pfau wrote:
>>> Seems like rpath could indeed work in this case. I can't find much
>>> documentation about it though. Debian recommends not to use it:
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/RpathIssue but I'm not sure if this problem
>>> applies to orbit.
>>
>> The problem mentioned on that page is:
>>
>> A problem arises when binary A defines a NEEDED dependency on
>> libraries B.so.1 and C.so.2, while library B.so.1 depends on library
>> C.so.1
>>
>> How is this handled when rpath isn't used and in general?
>>

> To be honest, I don't know. I'm not even sure if I understand the issue
> with rpath at all, but I thought I'd better mention it.

I can see that there could be a problem but I don't see how this can be
a problem only for rpath. Seems to me that it would be a problem
regardless which paths are used.

So what happens if you link two libraries which are the same library but
of different versions? Conflicting symbols?

--
/Jacob Carlborg