Orbit - Package Manager - Specification/ideas

Johannes Pfau spam at example.com
Fri Jul 22 05:49:21 PDT 2011

Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>On 2011-07-22 12:38, Johannes Pfau wrote:
>> Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem mentioned on that page is:
>>>
>>> A problem arises when binary A defines a NEEDED dependency on
>>> libraries B.so.1 and C.so.2, while library B.so.1 depends on library
>>> C.so.1
>>>
>>> How is this handled when rpath isn't used and in general?
>>>

>> To be honest, I don't know. I'm not even sure if I understand the
>> issue with rpath at all, but I thought I'd better mention it.
>
>I can see that there could be a problem but I don't see how this can
>be a problem only for rpath. Seems to me that it would be a problem
>regardless which paths are used.
>
>So what happens if you link two libraries which are the same library
>but of different versions? Conflicting symbols?

Yes I think you'll get conflicting symbols. It is possible to add
version information to a symbol, but I don't know how often this
feature is used. (Or how it works exactly)

Example:
objdump -T /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
00000043  GLIBC_2.0   pthread_attr_getinheritsched
0000002d  GLIBC_2.5   __readlinkat_chk
00000076  GLIBC_2.1   key_decryptsession
00000097  GLIBC_PRIVATE __nss_hosts_lookup2

--
Johannes Pfau