List of issues PVS-Studio statically analyzes for

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Jul 23 04:10:51 PDT 2011

Walter:

> I always have a side interest in program static analysis. This one is for C, is
> expensive (!), and kindly provided a list of what it looks for:
> http://www.viva64.com/en/d/
> Some of these might be useful to add into D.

I have already scanned them all. D is able to avoid/catch several of those already. I have put some of them in Bugzilla.

D doesn't currently catch errors coming from bad usage of parallelism, or from bad usage of core.stdc functions (like strlen, printf, etc).

Converting 32 bit D code to 64 bit D one has shown some bug patterns, some of them may be worth looking for, by the compiler.

I have another similar (bigger!) list for another good C lint. If you want I will scan it too, looking for things to catch by D compilers. But you have to keep in account that later it will require some work to actually implement some of those tests in the compiler :-)

Bye,
bearophile