Possible malformed DWARF debug object files.

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Sat Jul 23 09:48:29 PDT 2011

Before I waste time trying to find a minimal example of this, let me ask if
anyone has seen similar behavior. The problems I've seen arise when using gtkD.

DMD(2) Linux X386 compiled with -g appears to produce flawed object files.
Either on starting GDB or when I try to set a breakpoint, I get:

Die: DW_TAG_type_unit (abbrev 4, offset 0x5b)
  parent at offset: 0xb
  has children: FALSE
  attributes:
    DW_AT_byte_size (DW_FORM_data1) constant: 8
    DW_AT_type (DW_FORM_ref4) constant ref: 0x53 (adjusted)
Dwarf Error: Missing children for type unit [in module /home/steve/tredit/tree]

It occurs to me to wonder if 'unit' is actually 'uint'.

If you use -gc it works, but then debugging with GDC is very flaky.