Proposed improvements to the separate compilation model

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sat Jul 23 11:30:03 PDT 2011

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:43:13 +0300, Andrei Alexandrescu

>> One of the reasons I
>> ran from C++ is due to not having to maintain header files any longer.
>> Whatever your reasons are for manually-maintained .di files, let's not
>> consider them a cure-all for all large project problems.
>
> Probably this is a misunderstanding. I'm giving a realistic option, not
> adding a constraint.

OK. It's just that from where I'm standing, to me it looks like you've
already decided on a course without seriously considering the benefits of
a more general solution, as well as comparing the amount of work necessary
for either path. As you've seen, I have some strong personal opinions
about manually-maintained .di files. Performing the same change twice many
times per day is the kind of repetitive, mind-numbing work that makes you
hate the language, the project, your job, and your boss (for not allowing
use of a better language/solution). I've done it in C, C++, Delphi, I
don't want to do it in D too.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net