OS X 10.7 (Lion) breaks DMD-compiled executables due to ASLR (?)

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Sun Jul 24 05:21:28 PDT 2011

On 24/07/2011 06:24, David Nadlinger wrote:
> I have been observing crashes in semi-random places around my D
> applications (Segmentation fault/Bus errors) on the recently released OS
> X 10.7, dubbed Lion. They miraculously disappeared every time I ran the
> executables from GDB, and as I found out (thanks wm4 for the hint), this
> was due to GDB disabling ASLR by default. And indeed, if I »set
> disable-aslr off«, the crashes also happened within the debugger.
>
> This is not totally surprising as Lion is the first OS X release to
> include full ASLR for both 32 bit and 64 bit applications, but I have
> not been able to track down what exactly goes on.
>
> Any guesses what could go wrong here without additional details (I'm not
> at all sure where to look right now)? Maybe something related to the OS
> X-specific things like TLS handling?
>
> David

I've not run into any issues with this yet, if I do I'll see if I can
shed some more light on the situation. Off the top of my head, my guess
would be that the runtime is doing something funky that depends on ASLR
not being there, don't know what without investigating though.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/