16-bit inline assembler?

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 24 12:42:24 PDT 2011

On 7/24/2011 12:36 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/24/2011 11:14 AM, Mehrdad wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Is 16-bit inline assembly possible with DMD? If not, would it be
>> difficult to
>> add the feature?
>> That way you might actually be able to write a boot loader in pure D. :)
>
> You can do it with the Digital Mars C compiler!
>
> Adding it to D would be rather complicated and probably not worthwhile.

Omg I didn't know that! I'll give it a try, but then that wouldn't be D,
haha. It just seems really awesome to be able to build a kernel from
scratch that doesn't need assembly at all.

But arguably, aside from the awesomeness, there's not much of a reason
for doing that, so it's totally understandable if it doesn't happen.

Thanks!