Clang static analysis results for dmd

Don nospam at nospam.com
Mon Jul 25 05:05:01 PDT 2011

Robert Clipsham wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I took the liberty of running dmd through clang's static analysis, and
> it's turned up quite a few (486) potential bugs in dmd:
>
> http://octarineparrot.com/assets/dmd/
>
> There's bound to be a few false positives in there (please feel free to
> report them to the nice folk over at llvm), and the dead code won't
> cause any problems (and most of the "dead code" in the backend is
> probably in use with dmc or something), but there are still a few
> hundred potential crashes in there.
>
> The link above is rather slow - if anyone wants a local copy to work
> with let me know and I'll see about getting one to you... The compressed
> source to those pages is ~206MB, it's about 2.8GB without compression!

It seems to have ignored the backend source files which are generated by
early build steps optabgen.c, etc. Either that, or else it doesn't
realize that the arrays in those files (eg, optab1[] in optab.c) are
constant values.
Every backend report that I looked at, was a false positive caused by this.