ELF object files: executable stack and security risk?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Tue Jul 26 23:16:40 PDT 2011

Am 27.07.2011, 06:12 Uhr, schrieb Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com>:

> On 7/26/2011 7:06 PM, bearophile wrote:
>> Walter:
>>
>>> Hmm. D is supposed to link with gcc code, so that could be an issue.
>>
>> How?
>
> I believe Marco explained that: "GNU C closures need an executable stack"

If these nested functions / closures were used in any of my installed
packages I would have gotten the same warnings as for dmd. We are dealing
with a rarely used GNU only (in other words non-portable) feature that
makes C programs arguably more vulnerable. This extension I think, could
actually be ignored. From what I've read its usually assembly files that
are assembled without a .note.GNU-stack section hint that end up with an
executable stack for the benefit of doubt.

Ignorant of all that, isn't this solely a linker issue and has nothing to
do with dmd?