Why is the "linux" version identifier all lowercase?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jul 30 02:25:50 PDT 2011

On Saturday 30 July 2011 09:05:04 Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> http://d-programming-language.org/version.html#PredefinedVersions
>
> Why is the "linux" version identifier all lowercase?  It really should be
> "Linux" (see e.g. www.kernel.org).

Yeah. I keep screwing up and using version(Linux). To match the others, it
really should be version(linux), but so much code would break at this point if
changed it that we can't just change it. We could add version(Linux), and
since it's a standard version defined by the compiler, I guess that the
compiler could deprecate it. Regardless, the fact that it's all lowercase when
all of the others (except for unittest, none, and all) begin with an uppercase
letter definitely causes bugs (for me at least).

- Jonathan M Davis