Why is the "linux" version identifier all lowercase?

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Jul 30 02:38:19 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-30 09:05:04 +0000, "Lars T. Kyllingstad"
<public at kyllingen.NOSPAMnet> said:

> http://d-programming-language.org/version.html#PredefinedVersions
>
> Why is the "linux" version identifier all lowercase?  It really should be
> "Linux" (see e.g. www.kernel.org).

Because Walter saw some code using "#ifdef linux" and thought it'd be
helpful to use the same lowercase identifier in D to ease migration… or
at least that's what I remember from last time this question was asked
on the newsgroup. Personally I don't think it makes much sense.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/