What library functionality would you most like to see in D?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jul 30 22:27:19 PDT 2011

I think that it would be useful to query the community for what piece of
library functionality they don't currently have in D and would most like to
see. For instance, there is no official logging framework in D or any 3rd party
libraries which do it AFAIK. So, that could be one type of functionality that
you may like to see. Now, there is a prospective implementation for std.log
which shouldn't be all that far away from being reviewed, so listing that here
wouldn't be all that useful, since it's on its way. But what other major
functionality do you miss in D that other languages' that you use have
available in their libraries?

My hope here would be that we could get some good ideas going here such that
we have can have a better idea what type of functionality it would be
particularly useful to be working on for Phobos or 3rd party D libraries for
the community, and maybe it'll even get some people to actually go and work on
these ideas so that we can improve the libraries that we have to work with in
D. We can always use more help, and we definitely need a richer library
ecosystem for D. But even just discussing ideas could be of benefit.

So, what major functionality which we don't currently have would you like to
see in either Phobos or in a 3rd party library so that you could use it in
your D programs?

- Jonathan M Davis