What library functionality would you most like to see in D?

Anders Ahlström admin at antoarts.com
Sun Jul 31 03:09:16 PDT 2011

== Quote from Alex Rønne Petersen (xtzgzorex at gmail.com)'s article
> On 31-07-2011 11:30, Anders Ahlstr�m wrote:
> >> I'm new to D, but I guess I might be able to develop some sort of configuration
> >> file library (supporting reading and writing values etc.). Do you guys have some
> >> sort of preferences or should I just go with standard INI files?
> >>
> >> AFAIK, D supports XML already, which can be used for configuration files, but
> >> sometimes something simpler can be convenient.
> On 31-07-2011 11:44, Mirko Pilger wrote:
> >> I'm new to D, but I guess I might be able to develop some sort of
> >> configuration
> >> file library (supporting reading and writing values etc.). Do you guys
> >> have some
> >> sort of preferences or should I just go with standard INI files?
> >
> > maybe boost::property_tree could be of some inspiration here:
> >
> > http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_47_0/doc/html/property_tree.html
> >
> That seems like a good idea! As the doc page suggests, we could store
> configuration in XML, JSON, INI, or whatever people would want to use in
> their application. Phobos AFAIK has facilities for JSON and XML. Not
> sure about INI, though.
> - Alex

The property tree is independent of the underlying format, isn't it? What is
needed is a property tree, and then a bunch of parsers each returning a property
tree and being able to write it back to disk. The property tree doesn't even have
to know if it is an INI file or an XML file it is editing, which is kind of cool,
and flexible.