core.compiler versus std.compiler

Alex Rønne Petersen xtzgzorex at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 12:59:43 PDT 2011

On 31-07-2011 21:50, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On 7/31/11 7:24 PM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>> I noticed that druntime has a core.compiler module as well. Recently,
>> I've been submitting patches to std.compiler. Should core.compiler be
>> removed, or perhaps std.compiler be moved there and marked as deprecated
>> in Phobos?
>
> 1. There doesn't seem to be a core.compiler in druntime.
>
> 2. What would such a module be needed for in the first place? Besides,
> keeping a central list of all available D compilers in the standard
> library doesn't quite seem like a good idea to me…
>
> David

1. Sorry, you're completely right. It's actually called /rt/.compiler;
my bad:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/blob/master/src/rt/compiler.d

2. I don't see any particular harm in maintaining the list. What you're
saying is true, though; there is arguably no use in having it there. The
only purpose it would serve is to avoid confusion surrounding
compiler-specific version definitions.

- Alex