What does C++ do better than D? - StackOverflow.com

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jul 31 13:54:16 PDT 2011

"Adam Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:j14cui$2vig$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Hmm...? So what is "this app path thing"? I take it you're not
>> talking about the PATH environment variable?
>
> It's a registry section. Here's the blog post I saw it in:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2011/07/25/10189298.aspx

God, how convoluted. Leave it to MS to "simplify" a situation by making it
more complex. And nevemind the fact that the autoexec.bat issues aren't
applicable in Win2k and onward. This also means that the incredibly useful
tango.sys.Environment.exePath is essentially broken, and if it were fixed
then this would likely break:

if(Environment.exePath(appName))
    system(appName);
else
    doSomethingAboutItLikeMaybeInstallItOrSomething();

Kinda drives you to Linux until you remember that making a persistent change
to the user's PATH over there is just like the autoexec.bat situation,
except worse because at least with autoexec.bat it was always the same
interpreter and anything more complex than a greppable one-line "set
PATH=..." was rare.

Anyway, that's very good to know. Thanks.