What library functionality would you most like to see in D?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jul 31 19:19:42 PDT 2011

On Monday 01 August 2011 04:03:11 Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> Are you sure it's LGPL? There's two licenses AFAIK, GPL and Artistic.
> I'm not seeing any mention of LGPL in the code.

It could be GPL. I don't remember whether it's GPL or LGPL, but it doesn't
really matter as far as Phobos goes. It needs to be Boost for Phobos, and
Walter gave his permission to port dmd's lexer over to D with the Boost
license, and no such permission has been given from the ddmd guys. Now, I
haven't asked for it yet either. It hasn't been high enough on my priority
list to deal with that yet, and I want to do the majority of the port myself
to ensure that I understand it. Looking at ddmd and possibly copying some of
what it did would be helpful, so I'd like to get the permission thing sorted
out with ddmd if possible. I just haven't taken the time to do it.

Regardless, the point is that dmd and ddmd are not under Boost - regardless of
whether they're under GPL or LGPL - and without  permission from the
appropriate copyright holders, a port can't be moved to Boost.

- Jonathan M Davis