Discuss here the best article iPad2 contest

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Jun 2 03:57:48 PDT 2011

"Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:op.vwf1mfuueav7ka at localhost.localdomain...
> On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 21:16:40 -0400, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the policy for people who submitted articles?  If we don't
>> officially have
>> one, I think everyone who submitted an article should vote for any
>> article except
>> their own.  If submitters are allowed to vote for themselves, of course
>> they all
>> will and their votes will effectively cancel out.  I think it's best to
>> give each
>> submitter a meaningful vote as to what the best other article is.
>
> There were never any rules about authors of articles not being able to
> vote.  Since all of us had posted to the newsgroup prior to the
> announcement, we can all vote.
>
> I was planning on voting for the best article besides my own because I
> think that's the gentlemanly thing to do.  But there are no rules as far
> as whether you can vote for your own article or not.  I.e. if you want to
> vote for your own article, there is no rule against that.
>
> -Steve

If other authors vote for themselves, then I'd want to vote for myself as
well. However, I much prefer Steve's plan of voting for someone other than
himself. I agree it's "the gentlemanly thing to do". Besides, if most of us
do vote for ourselves, then they'll pretty much just cancel out anyway.

So I have a proposal: Even if we are technically allowed to vote for
ourselves, I propose that we all agree not to. With Steve and I in favor of
this, that makes it 2 out of the 5 so far. So how about it, Jonathan, Dave
and Robert?