How about "auto" parameters?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Jun 3 09:25:07 PDT 2011

On 6/3/11 10:19 AM, Matthew Ong wrote:
> On 6/3/2011 11:47 AM, Mehrdad wrote:
>> == Quote from Jonathan M Davis (jmdavisProg at gmx.com)'s article
>
>>> understand templates to use D properly - especially when dealing
>> with Phobos -
>>> that doesn't help at all.
>>> I see no advantages with this idea and quite a few disadvantages.
>> This
>>> proposal adds absolutely nothing.
>>> - Jonathan M Davis
>>

>> o__o way to bash the proposal, it actually convinced me lol...
>

>  >> proposal adds absolutely nothing.
> You will get this frequently. Especially if you identify with Java
> development.
>
> Welcome to D forum, where new idea are squashed and maybe re-discussed
> later. Look up my name as Matthew Ong. Avoid asking the same questions.
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/
> Notice: We *welcome feedback about the D compiler or language*,
>
> Not so true. Or out right should warn people as:
>
> Notice: Take it the way how we like it here, we are Not Burger K*ng.
> Please see:
> d.D.learn
> AND MAKE sure you read this
> d.D.NoSuchUselessSuggestion
>
> What do you think D forum people, at least new people here are for warn.
> Add a bit of humor into that.
>
> I do see a pattern here. Just joined D forum less than 4 weeks ago.
> Got a week off to clear my head. I think now I understand why D is still
> such a small community in the forum.

I understand how you find that an attractive conclusion to reach, but
probably a more rational hypothesis is that some of your proposals have
been of poor quality. That doesn't reflect poorly on your abilities, it
just suggests that you have not yet accumulated sufficient expertise with D.

As an example, look at the activity of a current poster who proposed
very strongly a change in a way the intervals are handled. It was
arguably a very poor proposal for D, and people did their best to
explain why. That poster was outwitted by competent people with clear
and solid arguments. Yet that poster's way to solve that cognitive
dissonance - the low road if you ask me - was to conclude that the value
of his proposal is high in spite of all logic and reasoning, and that
everyone else is wrong.

I suggest you don't fall for the same pattern, though clearly I
understand how attractive it is. It slows down learning.

Andrei