[OT] Spaces/tabs (Was: simple display (from: GUI library for D))

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jun 3 11:54:22 PDT 2011

On 4/11/2011 1:31 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> In other words, *some* editors handle space-indentation intelligently (and
> do so by reinventing *tabs*), while *all* editors handle tab-indentation
> intelligently.

There is no way to handle tabs intelligently.

Take a source file that has tab characters in it. There is no algorithm in the
world that will discern what the tab size is supposed to be. Heck, I've seen
plenty of source files that assume a tab size of X in some sections and Y in
others, and Z in still others.

The only way to win is to not use tabs.