[OT] Spaces/tabs (Was: simple display (from: GUI library for D))

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 17:14:20 PDT 2011

On 03/06/2011 20:15, Timon Gehr wrote:
> Daniel Gibson wrote:
<snip>
>> If you use tabs for indentation and spaces for alignment the tabsize
>> doesn't matter.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SmartTabs

Taken the words out of my mouth there.  I've been faced with files that are a mishmash of
tabs and spaces, and been tidying them up to this style.

The problem is that some editors will, when you indent a block of code, change the
alignment spaces back into tabs.  Though I do find that feature useful as a first step in
cleaning up sources that are in a total mess in terms of tab/space indentation.  At work
we use Visual Studio, but when I find that a source file needs tidying I would open it in
Notepad++ as it behaves in this way.  I also tend to use its Trim Trailing Space feature
quite often....

Stewart.