Port a benchmark to D?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Jun 3 19:32:17 PDT 2011

On 06/03/2011 08:47 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> Running Ubuntu v10.10 x32 on Virtualbox with hardware virtualization,
> GCC v4.4.4 and DMD 2.053 installed.
>
> DMD debug: 54s
> DMD optimized: 47s
>
> Google's C++ optimized: 27s (gcc -O3 -lc -lstdc++)
> Bear's C++ optimized: 24s (g++ -O3 -std=gnu++0x)
>
> So it's MinGW's fault apparently.

Interesting. So now we have a run time comparable with C++'s run time in
the paper. The implementation by bearophile has 721 lines. Once we have
compilation times, binary size, and memory footprint, we have a good
comparison point with the study in the paper.

Far as I can tell D comes in the second place after C++ at run time.
With optimizations and all it could get significantly closer.

Thanks,

Andrei