Q: commercial compiler manufacturer

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:33:57 PDT 2011

William Bolish Wrote:

> Q: Will D likely ever be picked up by a major compiler manufacturer?
>
> The language looks really good, but without a major compiler manufacturer
> promoting & supporting the language, it seems major projects will never be
> undertaken by large corporations.
>
> This is what I am hearing from the firm I am contracting with (an energy
> industry supplier).
>
> Any suggestions from anyone about any very large projects underway would be
> appreciated.
>
> Walter and Andrei: how would you approach / answer this to a client?

I'm not really sure what would fall under "major compiler manufacturer." Google? Microsoft? Sun? Oracle? Borland? DigitalMars is a compiler manufacturer, or at least their product is compilers. Walter developed the Zortec C++ compiler and has continues to maintain it. And the vague information I see, his clients seem to be very pleased with his work.