Two other kinds of static

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Jun 4 06:36:28 PDT 2011

Time ago I have half-seriously suggested a "static static", to solve a small problem I've has in my code. foo is a function template, so even if bar is static, every instantiation of foo gets a different bar:

auto foo(T)(int x) {
    static bar = ...;

A "static static" means there is only one bar shared for all instances of foo, this is something I have desired a bit to do:

auto foo(T)(int x) {
    static static bar = ...;

Now I have found a bit of need for another kind of static :-) In C/C++ there isn't this need because they don't have nest functions as D (GCC supports nest functions, but they are not used much). An example:

int foo() {
    int bar() {
        static(foo) int[10] spam;
        //...
    }
    // ...
}

That means something like:

int foo() {
    int[10] spam;
    // spam not visible here
    int bar() {
        // use spam here only
    }
    // spam not visible here
}

"spam" is static regarding the bar() function, but it's not static (so it's automatic) for foo() function. This is sometimes useful because I know how bar will be called (inside foo), but I don't know how foo() itself will be called and used, and generally foo() may be a recursive function. So this is wrong code, I can't set spam as a truly static variable:

int foo() { // recursive
    int bar() { // not recursive
        static int[10] spam; // wrong
        // ...