Port a benchmark to D?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 07:54:47 PDT 2011

On 6/4/2011 9:15 AM, bearophile wrote:
> Walter:
>
>> It would be nice to figure out what is different. Try using the coverage
>> analyzer and profiler for starters!
>
> There are little differences and inefficiencies here and there, but in the second D version I think most of the performance difference over the C++ code is caused by the GC. I will do some tests.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

That's probably right, for two reasons:

1.  Other than the GC, D doesn't have any "hidden cost" features that
would explain it being slower than C++ for similarly written code.

2.  A few posts back, it was noted that DMD2.053, which includes my GC
optimizations, was substantially faster than 2.052, which doesn't.