TempAlloc review starts now

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Jun 6 08:28:43 PDT 2011

On 6/5/11 5:25 PM, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> Code:
>
> https://github.com/dsimcha/TempAlloc/blob/master/tempalloc.d
>
> Docs:
>
> http://cis.jhu.edu/~dsimcha/d/phobos/core_tempalloc.html

I'll get back with a real review, but before I forget, there is one
thing that I also noticed in the proposal: TempAlloc is good to have but
the marketing folks should be dialed down a bit. In the documentation
TempAlloc lists two advantages compared to stack allocation and three
advantages compared to heap allocation. There's no disadvantage,
drawback, caveat, etc. listed at all. If we went by the documentation it
would appear that TempAlloc is the be-all-end-all memory allocator to
replace all others.

Documentation must clarify when use of TempAlloc is favored and when
other allocation methods should be chosen instead.

Thanks,

Andrei